Welcome

Glad you stopped by, hope you enjoy the articles and other things here. The Links are especially useful, they will take you to other websites, 2 are mine, the Dot's Literary and Creative Expressions, is where I store my short stories, poems and drawings and the Titus Homeschool blog is our blog about the family and homeschooling. The other sites are Authors that I enjoy, other homeschool or Christian resources and Music websites where you can go listen and purchase songs.

You can post a comment under each article (post) or click on my profile and email me privately. I would love to hear from you. Check back often to see what is new.

Sincerely,
Dot



Friday, June 17, 2011

The Joy of Job Hunting and letting 1 page; 8 x 11 represent me... Oh my!


The ironic things in life..

As soon as we are able to do so, we begin building our resume with Education, Experiences and Work History to show our dedication, diligence and desire to be productive and efficient.

        Then, when you REALLY REALLY (want) NEED! a job we try to format this 8 X 11 sheet of paper with creative formating and spacing, well crafted wording to get us a phone call.

Momma and Daddy always taught us to be HONEST and Forth coming, don't embellish or over state your abilities or knowledge.
           In this world this can destine you to entry level (LOWER Paying) jobs, if you get hired at all.  Because they are expecting "EVERYONE" to embellish alittle and so when you don't you look less than what is stated.

        I became desperate and curious to know what in the heck is going on with my non existent interview schedule. I mean things change all the time but 10 years ago, the few times I was unemployed I left the home at 8 am with the resumes, newspaper and list of appointments and by 5 pm that night I had offers or promises of calls for the next day. Now I am having few calls and interviews that are clearly (what do you look like, ethnicitiy and age) meet and greet. Weeks go by before they let me know I am not being selected.

SO... I got bold and called a recruiter to find out what the others had that I did not.. and OH MAN! OUCH....

THE RESUME! Have someone look at it, it is outdated and too informative, they don't need to interview you cause it is all spelled out and you gave them references. So they interview the other candidates to get a better idea of them and end up selecting someone they "SEE".
((WRONG, AGAIN! by Martina McBride began playing in my head ~~~~~))

OH MY ....! UGGGGG. I followed advisement and recommendations from school and cannot believe this could be so bad that it is preventing people from seeing they NEED ME!

So I got bolder and had a friend look at it, and well, IT WAS THAT BAD :(((
"NO WONDER YOUR NOT GETTING MANY CALLS!" in 2 hours we complete rewrote my resume into a powerful 1 page concise sampling of my expertise and experience.

The hardest thing about the whole experience, as great as the 3 of many employment experiences are, they were not the bulk of my work history, nor the most important roles that show my character, integrity, work and social ethics. They are not the things I want to be known for, no!  those are the very first things that are removed as "incidental or too personal" and that do not matter to recruiters, employers, or mostly anyone else...(SERIOUSLY IRONIC that my whole being was built and designed to be these roles and the learning and experiences gained in these roles should be recognized.. (Abilitiy to follow instructions, Work Independently, Team Player, Able to resolve conflict and problem solve on the spot,...)

Daughter of 41 years, Sister for 33, 31 and 30 years, Girlfriend of 3.5 years, Wife of 19 years, Daughter and Sister-in-law off 19 years, Working mother for 5 years, Homeschool mom of 5 years, Self taught Medical Biller, CPT & ICD-9 coder, EMT (licensed but never ran due to becoming pregnant), ACTIVE and AVAILABLE Friend and Volunteer, Creator/Facilitator of many groups and cooperative eventsAvid student/reader/researcher and Continuing Education Participant.

So much work goes into becoming individualized and unique in our teens and Young Adult days only to work to becoming as much like everyone else in our middle ages. Self starter, Motivated and Efficient Producer use to be notable qualities and desired "BUZZ WORDS" on resumes.

All this work to obtain a job that is going to take the majority of my day and evening, consume much of my thoughts and precious energy. The newly acquired coworkers and management will become the beneficiaries of my talents, skills and time. Therefore, I am selective in the "opportunities" I choose to venture into, looking for a complementary experience that will be a natural addition to my resume and life. Suddenly it seems as though the world has changed completely and not for the good. All thoughts, and actions are about securing professional and financial security, having to relinquish control and influence over not just my life, schedule and future but also that of my family, all for a paycheck that is reduced by a government that follows none of my beliefs, or ethics and wastes the money on inappropriate expenditures.

But I am strong and will work to obtain what my family and I need/want.  I can and will balance this heart breaking shift and we will become more secure, loving and efficient for all the efforts.

Encouraging Scriptures:
And I will make thee to this people a fortified brazen wall: and they shall fight against thee, but they shall not prevail against thee: for I am with thee to save thee and to deliver thee, saith the LORD. (Jeremiah 15:20) http://bible.cc/jeremiah/15-20.htm


 
they have greatly oppressed me from my youth, but they have not gained the victory over me (Psalm 129:2)  http://bible.cc/psalms/129-2.htm  



For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) http://bible.cc/jeremiah/29-11.htm 


But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31) http://bible.cc/isaiah/40-31.htm 



We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. (2 Corinthians 4:8) http://bible.cc/2_corinthians/4-8.htm









No comments: